This & That is published now and then for the Erie area progressive community. Always good to double-check dates and times. Event submissions should have “T&T” in subject line, send to email@example.com . If you don’t want to receive this please reply with “Unsubscribe” in subject line. Also posted to http://occupyerie.net and www.erielead.org
May 1 – May Day March for Immigrant Rights
- Cleveland noon meet at Market Square Info Don Bryant 216 772-6788
- Pittsburgh 5pm, Wednesday May 1–Pittsburgh Federation of Teachers Hall, 10 s 19th St., Pittsburgh, PA 6pm—March to IBEW Local 5 Hall, 5 Hot Metal St, Pittsburgh PA http://fightbackpittsburgh.org FB event page
May 1 – Erie Crawford Central Labor Council Candidates Forum 7:30pm USW 3199 Hall 703 French St., Erie, PA
May 2 – Greater Erie Awards Night: Reconsidering John Nolen Masonic Temple Ballroom, 32 West 8th Street, Erie.Greater Erie Awards Night is being held in celebration of National Historic Preservation Month.To learn more about Preservation Erie, visit www.preservationerie.org.To learn more about Preservation Erie, visit www.preservationerie.org. Some of the work of Civitas can be found at www.JohnNolenProject.com.
May 2 STUCK Tour Cleveland Cedar Lee Theatre Documentary presentation about international adoption from the Both Ends Burning Campaign.
May 3 – STUCK Tour in Pittsburgh Southside Works Cinema
May 4 PSU Behrend Trash to Treasures Sale 7:30am-noon. Benefits United Way, keeps end-of-school- year discards out of the landfill!
May 7-8 –Destination Erie: A Regional Vision “Join conversation in Girard, Erie, Harborcreek, Waterford… Destination Erie is working together with citizens throughout Erie County to build a more sustainable region by creating a plan to meet the economic, social and environmental challenges of the 21st Century.
May 11 – Erie Bluffs Hike
May 11 -12 – No Drones Niagara Mothers Day Weekend events:
- May 11 – Educational event at Hallwalls Hallwalls Contemporary Art Center 341 Delaware Ave., Buffalo, NY. “Join us for an educational event featuring speaker Ed Kinane, as well as a panel of local civil resisters”. A short bio of Ed can be found here: http://vcnv.org/speaker-bio/ed-kinane
- May 12 – No Drones Niagara at Niagara Falls Air Base 2720 Kirkbridge Dr., Niagara Falls, NY 1PM “We will be protesting at the gate of the base against drone program which has already cost the lives of so many innocent mothers and children. If you are able to give a ride, or need a ride, from Buffalo to Niagara Falls, we’ll be meeting at noon on the 12th in the Park and Ride lot of University Station next to UB’s South Campus. Driving directions from there to the base can be found here: http://goo.gl/maps/kWBmh No Drones Niagara is a grassroots organization in Buffalo, NY working to prevent the Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station from adding a drone operation. Part of the Upstate Coalition to Ground the Drones and End the Wars”. Visit nodronesniagara.org
May 15-16 Buffalo Juneteenth Celebration
May 16 – Erie County Democratic Party Candidates Night Party 6-9PM. Dem HQ 1305 State, Erie PA Free admission. All welcome! Refreshments provided. This is your opportunity to be informed of the issues important to all of us to hear from the candidates directly. Sponsored by the Erie County Democratic Party http://www.eriedems.com/node/2201
May 16 – Erie County Executive Candidates Debate WQLN-TV 8pm, repeats on WQLN-FM (radio) at Sat 7am and Sun 4pm.
May 18 – Bike Around the Bay Sponsored by Environment Erie. Join hundreds of tri-state bicyclists on Saturday, May 18, 2013 at the Intermodel Transportation Center on the Bayfront Parkway. Bike 10 Miles – Town Tour, especially designed for families and less experienced riders; 30 Miles – Bay Tour, for casual riders or 50 Miles – Endurance Tour, for seasoned riders. All riders bike along Presque Isle Bay and Lake Erie. Cost: Individuals are $20.00, families are $40.00. Group rates available: scouts, churches, youth groups, etc. Support Environment Erie, the non-profit youth environmental education program.
May 18 – Hands-On Jamestown 8am-noon Comprehensive community wide clean-up. Mulshing, weeding, reaking, planting.
May 25 – March Against Monsanto
May 31-Jun 2 – Allegany Nature Pilgrimage “Arrive at the pilgrimage and you are instantly part of a community; there is a sense of family. Each nature enthusiast is eager to explore the forests, fields, lakes, and streams, to share knowledge, to embrace learning, to celebrate this incredible planet, and to soak up the salve that nature is to the soul. Old friends re-unite; new friends are made.”
Jun 1 – Rally for Bradley Manning at Fort Meade (Maryland) Some folks driving from Erie to participate.
Jun 17-19 – Games for Change Festival NYC. Last year sold out so register early if you plan on attending. You can also watch it online.
Jun 20-23 – Netroots
NEWS & VARIOUS
GE & UE 506
- Mark Haller’s photo set of UE 506 Impact rally AFL CIO CLC
- UE 506 photos of Rally
- UE 506 Begins talks with GE
- Petition: Keep it Made in Erie! Tell GE to Stop the Destruction of 1,000 Jobs!
- UE 506 Impact rally video
- Pennsylvania Health Access Network (PHAN) statewide action (photos)
- Report: PA stands to gain $5 billion Pennsylvania would realize an economic boost of $5 billion if Gov. Corbett approves expansion of Medicaid, a new report by the Pennsylvania Economy League found.
- Philadelphia City Council passes landmark bill for LGBT benefits
- WJET/WFXP coverage of Marriage Equality rally at Gov Corbett’s Erie office.
ANTI-FRACKING PROTEST AT DEP OFFICE IN MEADVILLE
Special thanks to Scott Hrsina for collecting most of these links to local and area coverage of the event
- Erie Times-News
- WICU/WSEE (12/35) Erie TV News
- WJET/WFXP 66 (YourErie.com)
- Protesters Voice Their Concerns to DEP About Fracking (full text)
- Meadville Tribune
- Marcellus Outreach Butler (FB photo album)
- · Photo of march–Erie newspaper: and/or here
- · Erie Times-News write-up
UPSTATE NY PEACE CONVERGENCE
- Very good coverage of Sunday’s anti-drone events at Hancock AFB at Syracuse Peace Council Facebook page and http://www.peacecouncil.net/
- 30 arrested at drone base outside Syracuse April 28
- Union Trades Memorial Day 2013 Suzanne Boone’s photoset
- Gov Tom Corbett Protest at Erie Co GOP Dinner Mark Haller’s Photos
- Crawford County Tires to Energy plant under construction
- Europe bans pesticides in hopes of restoring bees
- PA Poll: Everyone beats Tom Corbett
- ‘Tainted by radical feminism’? More like ‘living the Gospel’ Sr Joan Chittister | Apr. 24, 2013
THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING… I HOPE
Oh, how I wish every American would sit down and listen to the testimony given by this young Yemeni in the Senate on April 23, 2013. In just six minutes Farea Al-Muslimi breaks hearts and opens American minds in an unprecedented way. The video of his testimony has already gone viral. Please share with everyone. [ Continue reading here ]
Share from: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151583455524653&set=a.101638599652.88574.54124414652&type=1&theater
You can cut all the flowers but you cannot keep spring from coming. ~Pablo Neruda